The Paleoclimate Modelling Intercomparison Project, Phase 3, will hold its first meeting from Monday, December 6th to Friday, December 10th 2010 in Kyoto, Japan. The meeting will be organized around keynote talks, many poster sessions and breakout group discussions.
The workshop will focus on the PMIP3/CMIP5 experiments (Last Glacial Maximum, mid-Holocene, and the Last Millennium) using GCMs/Earth System Models, their preliminary analyses and their evaluation using new and existing data syntheses. The experimental design is detailed on the PMIP3 wiki.
The following topics will also be discussed:
- Common analyses of PMIP3/CMIP5 present/past/future experiments.
- Availability of PMIP related paleodatasets.
- Careful planning of PMIP3 benchmarking for IPCC AR5.
- Results of coupling with biogeochemical cycle models (PCMIP).
- Warm periods such as Eemian and Pliocene experiments.
- Abrupt climate change and transient deglaciation experiments.
- Related sensitivity studies to understand the mechanisms of climate changes studied in PMIP3.
We also need to coordinate the analyses about the uncertainty of the results with working groups running additional experiments (ice sheets, different forcing for the last millennium etc…) and discuss how we deal with these uncertainties (multi-model versus other solutions?)